Re: [TenTec] Tax on Inventory

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tax on Inventory
From: "Kris Merschrod" <Kris@merschrod.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 07:23:59 -0400
There were many "no subject" subject lines today!  So I'll pick up on a
thread that is probably crucial for small raido companies in general.

The inventory problem (and I did the first inventory in about fifty years at
my family company and decided to drop it!)

For those not involved with this issue.  If a company assembles radios but
does not sell them in that fiscal year, then the value of those unsold rigs
is considered an accumulated asset and the difference between cost and value
is taxed.  The same appies to having more, say, inductors in your supply
room than you had at the beginning of the year.

That keeps folks from squirring away profits in inventories!   Well, you
would think that this idea would be one of the areas for reform especially
if you want companies to demand down the line to stimulate the economy.  In
the longer run, those inventories will eventually be sold and profits made
(or lost) that then can be taxed.

So this all comes back to the cycle of construction and sales - who wants to
be stuck at the end of the fiscal year with radios ready to go out the door
but not sold?  Think of that cash flow problem - you have your working
capital tied up in radios and now you need to take some of that working
capital to pay taxes.

I am not crabbing about taxes - that is the pet peeve of the businessman -
just commenting on the working capital issue.

Kris KM2KM

Merschrod
123 Warren Road
Ithaca, NY 14850