Re: [TenTec] Adding headset boom mic to headphones

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Adding headset boom mic to headphones
From: "W8KZW" <w8kzw@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:49:54 -0400
I like the ease-of-use that a boom microphone delivers, but don't like
spending a fortune for one.  Here are two projects I've successfully
completed:

1.  I bought a modestly priced, audiophile quality headset from Radio Shack
some years ago .... I don't think they market it any longer, but I'm sure
similar units can be found online and at swaps.  I replaced the
way-too-wide-and-flat element with a used Heil HC-5.  It took a bit of
dentistry with a Dremel tool, but works great for me and I think I have $40
in it.

2.  I recently elisted a computer-type headset for ham use.  They use an
electeret element, so you need to apply about 8 volts DC through a dropping
resistor (2,200 ohms or so, value isn't critical)to protect against the
short to ground that occurs upon insertion and removal of the plug.  You
also need to keep the DC off the mic line to the rig with a capacitor (50 uf
electrolytic, value isn't critical).  Very inexpensive and great results.

73,
Jeff
W8KZW