Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Interfacing Computers to Rigs
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:21:35 -0700
On 10/29/2011 6:19 AM, Casey wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Are you referring to this: http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf ?

Yes, also the Ham Interfacing pdf.

> That is 66 pages of stuff that would take an EE degree to fully
> understand.

Not really. In fact, it is written for hams WITHOUT a college technical
education, but who have done at least some studying of electronics and
how radio works. You studied for and passed a ham exam, and I assume you
have a copy of the ARRL Handbook.  We are not CB operators, we are
expected to have some technical capability, and to be using our licenses
to expand our technical capability.  My stuff is written for those who
want to learn.

>   Or are you referring to a much more condensed version? If
> so, please provide the link.
>
> It is far easier for most hams to purchase/make the isolation circuits,
> though I would agree with you that eliminating the ground loops by
> proper techniques is the best approach. I accomplished that in one
> station location, even adding technical grounds, but it is not an easy
> task. I have not yet been able to do it at my other operating position
> because of its second floor position and distance from the breaker panel
> (and no I'm not replacing all my plastic conduit embedded in reinforced
> concrete walls with metal conduit now, hi hi!).

Yes, it can be a major challenge to rebuild electrical wiring, but if
you STUDY my material, you will find that it is far easier than you
think.  But you DO have to study it.

73, Jim K9YC