Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+, VII, or Orion for next rig. Can't decide
From: Floyd Sense <floyd@k8ac.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:55:50 -0500
A couple more comments regarding receiver evaluation.  There's
interesting info at W8JI's site here:
http://www.w8ji.com/receiver%20IM3%20sorted.htm .  Note his comment
about an IM3 DR of greater than 80 dB being overkill for most of us.
Also, note in the Sherwood rankings that there are a ton of rigs with an
IM3 DR of 80 or better and some of those go back to the late 1960s to
early 1970s.  Also, most of Rob's testing was done with a sample of ONE
of each rig, and that testing of different examples of the same rig
produce results that might vary by 2-3 dB.  That might put a lot more
receivers on Rob's list into the category of "good enough for most of
us".  And a last point - if your problem is one of poor adjacent
frequency interference, you might be further ahead looking at the
"Filter Ultimate" column of Sherwood's rankings instead of the IM3 DR
column.

73, K8AC