Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>

To: k9yc@arrl.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? <Jupiter>
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:07:55 -0500
Jim,

Thanks for the reply.  I had known that Al Kahn had founded
Electro-Voice.  I wish I had the chance to talk with him.  My dad was a
huge electro-voice fan and he and his best friend from High School, Bart
Locanthy, had both designed and built their  own sound systems, starting
back then. .  When Bart Locanthy (of JBL and Pioneer)  came to visit
after Dad had completed his last speaker enclosures, Dad was like a
little kid because Locanthy just sat in the chair and smiled.  Talk
about hams being taken up by their hobby.

Anyway, Yes I like my Jupiter a lot.  And I do get complements on my
audio using a Shure 444 but only after playing with the levels and
balance until I got it right, to me at least.  I am in quandary
regarding mikes.  I like the 444 and do get great reports on my audio.
I also have a HCL-4 element mounted in an unknown mike.  I have gotten
good reports with that mike when I was using it on my Kenwood but have
not yet rewired it for the Jupiter.   After operating in several venues
with headset and mike combos, including W1AW in Newington, and during
Field Day, that also sounds good, so to speak..  What can I say. What
else can I do.  I plan to re-plug (more properly) the HCL-4 mike,
consider the new Heil cartridge, and probably get the Yamaha headset.
THEN I can decide what works best for me.  Thank you for your suggestions.

73,
John / WA1JG