Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? ATTN K9YC

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM-500 boomset use with Orion II? ATTN K9YC
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 01:10:32 -0500
I have used both, and the Yamana CM-500 is a way better headset.

You MIGHT get him to wire up a connector for it...  W2ENY and another
guy, Alan WA2AC, who is on ebay as vendor nameAudio-Comm, also makes
them,  just as well for substantially less, and has better commo with
customers  (we used him to make a pile of them for a contest station)
but they both make good ones.

I can say, after testing, a GREAT MANY expensive and inexpensive
headsets for this purpose that many work well, Koss,  Sennheiser,
Yamaha, and several $5 cheap Chinese headsets from eBay...  but the
Yamaha provides good value at a good price point, and you will be able
to get acceptable warranty service from it.   I prefer the KOSS sets
with lifetime warranty for cheap backups, and use Sennheiser sets as
main daily use sets.  The can range in price by as much as $100 and they
all work acceptably well.   A KOSS SB-45 set replaced a Yamaha CM_500
during the MI QSP Party last year when the Yamaha cable failed.  No one
could see any difference in performance and we set a record placing
First in the contest.  (shameless plug.)

But I would back Jim on the CM-500  over the set you mention - not that
it will not work OK, but I feel the quality of the Yamaha set is
sufficiently higher for the price to say something about it.