Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.
From: "W8KZW" <w8kzw@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:15:15 -0500
I acquired an estate years ago, and with it came what I believe to be all -
or nearly all - CQ's, QST's, HR, 73, and other - radio magazines since day
one.  At least, the four floor-to-ceiling piles in my basement makes me
believe that, as I've not yet sorted through them.

And that pile is my treasure.

While it will likely be years before I buy or build shelving and arrange
them in sequence, just knowing I have them, and grabbing an armful to read
from time-to-time, is a joy to me ... takes me right back to my early days
in the hobby some 45 years ago.  Now, as then, I examine every homebrew
article and weigh the merits of tackling the project, notwithstanding the
fact that I barely have time for ANY aspect of my hobby.

Even reading the ads is fun ... and I've been to the archived QST's but it's
just not the same.

And to John, who logically and intelligently commented that he "... really
should be learning about surface-mount stuff like the brilliant
homebrew-contest things I see in the NEW magazines",  I make no apologies
that 10 out of 10 of the next projects I homebrew will use vacuum tubes and
not transistors or IC's.  Just because I want to.  It's why I have
Hallicrafters, Collins, Drake, and Heathkit gear in the shack.

My ham radio magazine collection won't be only thing that survives me.  If
even I only get to grab and read a few more armfuls between "then" and now,
it has added immensely to my enjoyment from my hobby.

73,
Jeff
W8KZW