Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Old QSTs, CQs, etc.
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:02:02 -0800
Thanks for the explanation, Rick.

Yes, hard drives do fail eventually, probably sooner than the media on a
CD or DVD
becomes unreadable.

However, from my years of experience in IT, no backup system is
effective if the
recorded media are destroyed.  This is the rationale for looking into
one of these
off-site means of storage; perhaps a cloud-based service.  I don't know
much about
them at this point.  I would not want to lose some 35+ GB of digital
photos and
music.  Unfortunately, these services are not exactly cheap for that
volume of data.

Before I retired, I could have transferred everything to a
large-capacity USB or eSATA
hard drive and stored it at my office.

73 de Jim - AD6CW