Re: [TenTec] Model 318 Amplifier Key Interface

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Model 318 Amplifier Key Interface
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 19:29:34 -1000
To really know whether you need external sequencing/delay equipment to
run QSK with any particular amplifier and transceiver requires that you
have accurate information about the timing that the equipment provides
or requires. Many manufacturers do not provide these specifications, and
many who do provide them are not real clear and specific about what they
mean.

Reviews in QST that show key closure versus transmit power envelope (and
key opening versus end of transmit power envelope) of transceivers can
help to provide part of the needed information. Though these
measurements are done on a specific unit, which is not necessarily
identical to every unit of the same model that comes of the production line.

The only way to know for sure is to measure it yourself. There may be
other ways, but I cannot think of a better way than with a good
oscilloscope and the appropriate probes and power sampling goodies. If
you do that, then you hope the timing is consistent.

Figuring out the capability of the amplifier may require getting inside
of it while parts of the amplifier are disabled. Any attempt to try to
find out how tight the timing can be for the amplifier, without some
sort of test setup in which the amplifier is not quite fully
functioning, is likely to cause the exact kinds of damage that this
whole exercise and the use of sequencing/delay equipment is intended to
prevent.

DE N6KB