Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:45:08 -0500
The link that Dave provided brings up an interesting point in the referenced
document.  And this is a point that I'd forgotten to mention although I did
apply it to my guyed 100 ft tower.   That point is this, there should be a
driven ground at each guy anchor point.  And each guy wire at each anchor
point should be connected preferably above the split bolt clamps to a #6
copper conductor.  This conductor should then be attached to a driven
ground.

As someone else mentioned, please do not use radiator hose clamps to connect
a ground lead to a tower leg.  There are specific clamps found at most
hardware or electrical supply houses that allow proper connection to a
tubular member such as a galvanized tower leg.

Another approach is to use a piece of 1/2" soft copper water line, flatten
about 6" of one end to form a tab.  Drill two holes correctly spaced and
sized for the through leg bolts and attach this tab to the tower legs with
the tower mounting bolts at the point where the tower stubs exit the cement
base .  The other end can then be attached to a driven ground.  There should
be 3 per tower or one per leg.   This works where the tower has been
installed with stubs and not where a section of tower section has been
buried.  { I long ago stopped burying tower sections and now mount all
towers on stubs exiting the cement base.}

73
Bob, K4TAX