Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: "Don Jones" <ko7i@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:46:04 -0700
Cecil,
You are spot on. A direct ground strike will develop up to 400 kA-pk. At 5
ohms that is a serious voltage surge. The Voltage Surge will have a very
fast rise time (less than 100nS), the current surge will have a lower rise
time 40uS or so. Within 1mS the impulse will have decayed back to zero.
If your tower takes a direct strike, the grounding at the base of the tower
had better be able to "take it" up.
W8JI claims his towers have taken direct strikes and has a section of his
web site dedicated to lightning protection. Lots of straight talk and no BS.

I feel blessed to live in Western Washington. Very rarely do we have serious
lightning activity.
73, Don KO7i