Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 01:11:19 -0400
On 7/3/2012 4:49 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> I am interested in hearing how others came to their first
Ten-Tec radio, why they bought it and how they used it.

My OMNI VII is my very first ham transceiver.  I purchased it after
researching specifications, features, and manufacturer reputation for
service after the sale, and it seemed to present the best performance,
features, and value.  I wanted a quiet receiver, clean transmit, and
Ten-Tec reputation for best-in-class CW performance.  Ease of use and
short learning curve, were important factors. The company's reputation
for service was a key factor in the purchase decision.  Also, my wife
thought it looked better than the competition in several respects, and I
agreed.  While not the most scientific aspect, a factor to consider
nonetheless.

I purchased my OMNI VII even before I owned an HT or UHF/VHF radio.   My
first HF contact was on 160 meters, transmitting 65 watts into my
75-foot random wire SW receiving antenna.  I nearly toasted the 9:1
balun - but it was winter and I could not wait to put up a better
antenna.  Oddly enough, the internal made it was work!  I am sure you
guys know that kind of anticipation, anxiety to get on the air.

I am a primarily a dial-twister and button-pusher, and prefer front
panel "Radio Mode" - but, I simultaneously run N4PY's control program
because it signals my Palstar AT-AUTO auto tuner, and uses my Ten-Tec
RX-320D as an ersatz second receiver/spectrum scope/ersatz panadapter.
the program also runs my TS-590s.

I use my OMNI VII to work HF nets, for contesting, and for special
events, including remote events that are like working Field Day.  Seems
at home in all situations.

I have Ten-Tec Centurion linear amp because I it would be easy to
operate, work well with with my transceiver, and was durable.

I am really pleased with all my purchases, the treatment I get from TT
HQ, and the caliber of guys who also buy TT stuff.

I also have other TT gear, so I suppose I have adopted the the brand.

   *  Ten-Tec Centurion linear amplifier
   *  Ten-Tec Model 1225 SWR/Wattmeter
   *  Ten-Tec Model 715 RF speech processor
   *  Ten-Tec Model 1253 HF Receiver Kit
   *  Ten-Tec Model 1254 HF Double Conversion Receiver Kit
        (still under construction...)
   *  Ten-Tec 963 Power Supply
   *  Ten-Tec RX-320D HF receiver