[TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:57:48 -0400

> I agree. The great thing about Field Day is that it can be approached in
> many ways. Some groups operate it as a high-pressure contest, like an
> outdoor version of the ARRL Sweepstakes. Other groups treat it as an
> emergency deployment exercise. The two approaches are very different.
> One group may set up a day before and put up big beams and towers. For
> EMCOMM purists, it's a grab and go setup. Some like to operate QRP on
> batteries and solar panels. In my mind, the most fun is in the setting
> up the equipment and sharing outdoor meals with friends. Making lots of
> contacts is fun, but incidental.
>
> My advice is to find a group with similar interests to your own. Or,
> just get one or two friends together and do a low profile, low pressure
> Field Day. Keep it simple and start simple.
>
>                  73,
>
>                      Bob WB2VUF

Coming late into this thread, but my thoughts:

I have participated in 2 field days in my brief ham radio life span (since
2007).  First one was two years ago, and I participated in this years.
This year was sort of a "must" for mas as I am an officer of our local
club, so I felt I should do it.   We had a good time, had a modest setup
with 3 stations going, one on with a triband beam, and made a decent number
of contacts.  I found that this year was no different than the last one I
went to, only a small number of people there actually used the radios, and
it was more of a social event.  Most that were there were not interested in
using the radios because "I do not do contests"

>From the ARRL website:

" While some will treat it as a contest, most groups use the opportunity to
practice their emergency response capabilities....

In all honesty if anyone actually believes that field day is about "setting
up emergency communications", they really have not been to a field day, or
have a different idea of what emergency communications means.  Exchanging
call signs, class and ARRL section are in no way shape of form "emergency"
communications.  Heck when I had not one but  two 27A contacts I was
floored.  27 transmitters???

"...It is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate Amateur Radio to local
elected community leaders, key individuals with the organizations that
Amateur Radio might serve in an emergency, as well as the general public. "

Again can someone please explain how sending Callsign, class and ARRL
section is going to demonstrate anything to anyone outside of the amateur
radio community??

 think someone else posted similar comments, but if you really want to have
field day simulate the setting up of emergency communications then the
following should happen:

1)  No setup is allowed before hand.  Not even being at you selected
location allowed.  After all when the S*** hits the proverbial fan, how
many people will be right whre needed with the designated equipment.  I
would even go so far to say the actual day and time should not be know,
only that it will occur sometime in June.  That way you don't have people
with loaded vehicles waiting to the "gun to go off".

2)  Each ARRL section shall have a scenario which has caused the need to
EMCOM.  All groups/stations participating in that section shall follow that
scenario.

3)  Contact shall be made for the purpose of faciliting real world type of
communications.  i.e. requests for aid, reaching out to loved ones with
messages, coordinating with government agencies, etc.

5)  The FD time frame will also be unknown, could be 12 hours, could be 24
heck even a week.

5)  Points???  NONE.. after all this is an emergency.  The winner is EVERY
one because the participants actually leaned what is needed in an emergency.

Just my humble thoughts.

Lou