Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec - Marketing

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec - Marketing
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 17:26:36 +0200
Of course not.  That's a good experience, not a bad one.

Intimidating is when your radio has a problem (and I have had personal
experience with both Yaesu and Kenwood), and the service department denies
your radio has a problem, sends it back unrepaired, and charges you postage.
(Eventually I repaired them myself, even though they were still in
guarantee).

Intimidating is when your 5 year old radio needs spare parts and the factory
service no longer supplies them.  You're left on your own to try and find
substitutes on the open market.

I only left Icom out because I have not personally experienced this with
them.  Most likely they are the same.
Of course we can't let these guys off the hook.  Intimidating is when you
7800 has a problem, which you know from the Internet lots of other people
are having too, and they charge you $1800 to fix it ... and it is nothing to
do with the finals.  My buddy had this problem and he knows several others
who had it.  EACH TIME YOUR RADIO GOES TO REPAIR, IT COSTS YOU THE PRICE OF
AN EAGLE TO GET IT FIXED?  NOW THAT'S INTIMIDATING!

The Japanese manufacturers make good radios, but their attitude and ethics
are very poor, while their responses to their customers are typically very
arrogant. That's intimidating!

It is really funny.
Lots of people laugh at the quality of Ten-Tec.
They blow these radios off because the knobs don't turn with the same
precision as most of the Japanese radios.
Yet why is it that most of the 25 year old Ten-Tec radios are still running,
while most of the 10 year old JA radios are not?
Just what is the definition of quality?

I don't expect the current series of radios to still be running in 25 years,
because they now have too many outsourced components and Ten-Tec has no
control over the supply stream.  However I believe Ten-Tec will do
everything it can to fix a customer's radio as long as it's possible.

AND the sad part is, once this trend appears, the bright marketing guys of
the JA companies will probably advertise that their quality is remaining
stable while Ten-Tec's quality is going down!  (like advertising coming in
second place, but not saying that it was only a 2-man race).  ;-)

As you can see, I am very passionate about service.
Maybe that's because I'm the service manager of a company.
I hope this post hasn't intimidated anyone who owns a YaeKenCom.
If so, I apologize.

73
Rick, DJ0IP