Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec

To: "<wa3fiy@radioadv.com>" <wa3fiy@radioadv.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] My First Ten-Tec
From: "Silevitch, Michael" <m.silevitch@neu.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 16:56:00 +0000
My first TT rig was a Triton IV that I bought used from a neighbor in 1977.
Prior to that I used an old Halicrafters HT32, HT 33 kw combo for the
transmitter and a Collins 75A4 receiver that I was given as a loaner. The combo
was just great but it weighed over 150 pounds and drew a lot of power even
without the the amplifier.

When I got the Triton a whole new world opened up. QSK was great and the
receiver was superb. I've used that rig up to a few months ago when I donated
to the Northeastern University Radio Club, W1KBN. I wanted the club members to
be able to understand and troubleshoot ham equipment and the Triton was ideal
for this, I felt. My colleague (Dave K1MBO) and  I are currently working out
how to introduce these troubleshooting skills to the members.

After donating the Triton to the club I "upgraded" to a Corsair I which I'm
enjoying very much. Right now I don't see the need for anything more modern
although I like the specs of the Omni VI+ and the Eagle. I did, however,
purchase an Omni C on eBay because it is my understanding that it and the
Corsair were neck and neck in terms of performance and I wanted to test the two
side by side. I haven't gotten around to that and any comments from others
would be appreciated.

In terms of reliability I must say that over the years I had no problems with
the Triton except for the dial string. Ten Tec was very helpful in providing me
with the replacement and words of encouragement.

I am a strong Ten Tec proponent and look to acquaint a new generation of hams
and potential hams with the great engineering and user friendliness of the gear
(at least the vintage gear!)

Regards
   Mike K1PEV

Sent from my iPhone