[TenTec] FW: ORION 1 vs ORION2

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FW: ORION 1 vs ORION2
From: "Jerry Haigwood" <jerry@w5jh.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:10:51 -0500
Correction copy:

Nate,
    I could bring them all up here but most people on here don't want to
know.  It has mainly to do with TenTec not wanting to support older radios.
In the case of the Corsairs, there are microprocessors that are getting hard
to find but they are still obtainable.  TenTec does NOT want to replace
those failed micros.  So, a new board was designed by G3TXQ to replace the
display logic board.  It uses two PIC processors.  Tentec could sell that
board but like I said they are not interested.  I think that displays in
general may be one of the harder things that TenTec does.  They are good at
designing front ends to achieve great dynamic range but seem to struggle in
some areas including the display area.  Has anyone had to replace the
display on the Orion 2?  I don't have one but may be someone will 'fess up.
I am hoping that TenTec is getting better at displays and may be they are.
I dunno.  I am just looking at their past track record.  One good thing is
that sooner or later someone gets fed up enough to sell their old TenTec and
that is where I step in. ;-) Jerry W5JH