Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: "Doug S" <nn9s@yahoo.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: "chacuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:01:49 -0500
Well lets scale it...100w autotune with advanced features for $785.
Comparable American made technology...Alpha 1500w autotune with advanced
features for $7950...oh and it don't do 6 meters...you have to buy their 6
meter amp for that.  $785 X 15= $11775.
$11775-$7950=$3825/15=$255.  So it might be $255 on the high side for a
comparable value but you add back the fact that it does 6 meters and it's
probably close to a wash.  (got the economy of scale thing as well)

The K3 100W upgrade module is $450 and you install it.  It does avoid the
cost of packaging, control and power supply electronics so I can see another
few hundred dollars associated cost there...

I think it's just the fact that things are expensive these days.  It's a
limited market product for sure but I'm guessing they will sell enough to
make the development worth the effort.  It is a nice looking product.

We've gotten too used to paying Chinese prices for stuff made off shore not
realizing the real price we have been paying.  Bringing our manufacturing
home is going to cost us more up front but pay dividend on the back end.

I will pay more for MADE IN USA.

Cecil
K5DL