Re: [TenTec] new amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new amp
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:29:52 -0700
On 8/17/2012 3:15 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
> Jim, does the KX3 have the dual key lines to mate with the 418 and enable QSK?
>
> The 418 keys an EN(able) line 4ms after it has been keyed.
> This is how it will work full BK with the 539.

I'm pretty certain that KX3 does not have such a port. Ten Tec's
original method of QSK where you key the amp and the amp keys the radio
is not the only way to run QSK with a Ten Tec amp -- IF the rig delays
TX for a few msec after asserting the PTT for the amp. I can run full
QSK by setting my Titans  and Herc II for PTT mode needed with rigs like
the K3 and FT1000MP that are designed this way.  I suspect that the KX3
is too.  That should be easy to check -- the manual can be downloaded
from the website. Look for a menu setting for TX Delay.  The default
setting for the K3 is 8msec, but it can be changed in 1 msec steps.

73, Jim K9YC