Re: [TenTec] Balancing Orion 565 VFO knobs

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Balancing Orion 565 VFO knobs
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:02:16 -0500
I recall adding material to the inner race on the back side, secured same with epoxy, and then drilling the excess to balance the knobs on my Collins equipment. Sure, it took a bit of time and several measurements but it sure makes for smooth sailing across the bands. I used a needle point balance method and a micrometer for the task. Also a nice metal turning lathe to "spin them up" is a real plus to have available. Much like the balancing process for tires on a vehicle.

I found the larger the knob in diameter the more likely out of balance it might be. Smaller knobs such as the one used on the Eagle are very smooth and virtually frictionless.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "shristov" <shristov@ptt.rs>