Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 253 Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 253 Question
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 09:35:22 -0800
I usually strip previous parts of the thread, but I'm leaving much of them in here for context.

Yes, the power rating of a tuner DOES depend on the impedance that is being matched. While the 229/238 series tuners are rated for legal limit, there are impedances that can release the smoke from one or two of the fixed capacitors. I've never run into arcing with them.

The new Elecraft KAT500 auto tuner is rated for a 10:1 or better SWR for use with the KPA500 (which does as much as 700W going downhill with a tailwind), is rated and legal limit for an SWR of 3:1 or better. I'm using the KAT500 with my Titan with antennas that are better than 3:1, and it seems to be happy. Three outputs, switching logic like the Ten Tec tuners. $700 factory built, $50 less as a kit. Like Ten Tec gear, it's made in the USA.

73, Jim K9YC