Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter
From: "James C. Owen, III" <k4cgy_list@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 08:44:55 -0800 (PST)
As one that has an OLD Jupiter (used for10 years) and an OMNI VII used for one
year I think I can add a little to this discussion. My Jupiter was built in
2000 so is one of the first. I had thought (and mostly still do) that the
Jupiter was the best rig I have ever used. However the OMNI VII IS better.  You
will not be disappointed with either. Just decide how much money you have to
spend and if you really need some of the additional features of the OMNI VII.
Let me quickly take the low points of the Jupiter over the OMNI VII.  The auto
notch is not adjustable and doesn't work on certain carriers (I think if there
is a little FMing it can't notch) the OMNI VII is adjustable and kills any
carrier. The first mixer of the Jupiter will overload if there is a 40+db
signal somewhere inside (not on frequency) of the 20 KHZ roofing filter.
However this in not a problem as turning on the 20db attenuator eliminates the
problem and I have only had it on 75
 meters. ON 10 & 12 meters the Jupiter needs just a little more gain if you're
trying to copy something at the noise floor. However if signal is as much as
3db above noise there is not a problem. Noise reduction on the Jupiter is not
as good as on the OMNI VII and is not adjustable. The OMNI VII has 6 meters and
optional roofing filters.  I could go on but you will not be disappointed with
either.
73 Jim K4CGY