Re: [TenTec] Microphones

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Microphones
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 17:29:09 -0600
Bill, you might ask if anyone at Ten Tec is knowledgeable about the Electro Voice microphone, as Ten Tec was founded by EV's officers.

The 638 was probably a high impedance mike; I recognize the number, but can't recall if it had switching or a pin change on the connector to pick high or low impedance.

Most newer ham rigs are set up for low impedance say 600 ohms electret mike elements. Check your specs.

A replacement cartridge, if the 638 one is not of dual impedance by selection of the right pin on the jack, can be obtained.

Heil makes mike elements for DX or rag chewing, which while modern elements are tailored to voice use. The DX element is said to have more "punch". Ten Tec may know who supplies Electro Voice parts now. But also, Shure Inc. in the midwest, still makes mikes and supplies many elements compatible with older dynamic mikes. They may have something that will fit the Electro Voice.

I went to look just now for a 638 I thought we had out back in a lab, but it was not there. But here are my thoughts on getting into various types of mike bodies:

If you don't find a small screw(s) to detach the front of the mike, perhaps the ring is threaded and will unscrew. Other means were used with some mike bodies. Something like unscrewing the screw holding the connector on the back end might release a kind of bracket holding the connector and the wiring plus, at the front, the mike element.

GL,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH