[TenTec] No [mandatory] CW

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] No [mandatory] CW
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:19:54 +0100
Don't want to continue to side-saddle the "Speaker" thread.

Jim, I had it worse, being a conditional and living overseas.
I had to find a chance to fly back to the states and then take 3 tests.
Made one mistake on the CW exam.

BIG SURPRISE:  Over here, many of our no-code amateurs now work code and in
fact 2 of them (members of our BCC) consistently kick my butt in CW
contests, and I'm not a bad operator.  It seems their problem was not that
they couldn't learn CW, but rather they couldn't test in front of someone
else and pass.

Several of the officials in our DARC are no-code amateurs and they are doing
a good job.

CW has nothing to do with quality.

Do I want quantity?  YES  Our hamfests are dying.  The companies building
our radios are dyiing.
Except for in the US, ham radio seems to be dying.

BUT be careful with the numbers the ARRL keeps posting, showing ham radio
growing in the US.
I do not know a single ham here who does not also have a US call sign.  We
all do.
So do all of the contesters I know in France and several other countries.

HOW MANY US HAMS ACTUALLY LIVE IN THE US?  If you only count them, and not
the foreigners you may be surprised at the numbers.
Maybe Ham Radio is dying in the US too, if you count correctly.

Anyone who thinks using CW to keep the riff-raff out is a good idea, well
then I say they are just mis-using CW.
The bands are full of LIDS who passed CW.  So CW isn't a filter for letting
good guys in and keeping bad guys out.

Indeed CW is magic and I make 95% of my contacts on CW, but IT AIN'T THE
ONLY MODE.

And finally, Jim, I plead guilty to the accusation.  I have not done much
above 10m.  Used to VHF contest on 2m when I had a QTH that worked, but
since moving to a mountainous region 30 years ago, that stopped.

73
Rick