Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:38:53 +0200
Well that's sure a very rubber rule.

If I drive to or near the mountain top, carry my rig the final 10 feet to
its final destination, and don't attach anything to the car, then I have met
that rule.

I not sure how my Andorra operation would qualify, because although I walked
about 20 feet and put up a tent, I then removed the car battery and carried
it to the tent and attached my radio to it.  So I guess that disqualifies
me, because I was attached to part of the car.

I think I'll stick to IOTA.

In any case, I learned a lot about how to run forever on batteries during
those types of operations:

 <> RX must have absolutely as little current drain as possible (#1
Criteria!)
 <> Turn off all dial lamps in the RX
 <> Use headphones (requires less power than speaker)
 <> Keep TX power to the minimum required to work what you want to work
(improve the antenna rather than increasing the TX power)
 <> Use candles for light.  OK, now days we have LED lamps, so there is a
better solution which has its own power.

73
Rick, DJ0IP