Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:57:46 -0400

On 4/17/2013 5:34 AM, Barry N1EU wrote:
I believe the SOTA program originated with QRP enthusiasts in England
who also happened to be avid hikers.  The radio part takes a back seat
to the hiking part.

        Yeah... an easy requirement in the UK where
        mountains are not very steep or high and are
        very old (more like rolling hills in many areas."
        Witness hiking in the Pennines in the Dales...
        Not the same as hiking up certain peaks in the
        rockies, or in the Italian or Swiss Alps, etc.

        Not all summits are created equal.  Hiking to one
        is not always the same as hiking to another.
        The Brits have it easy compared to many other
        places... so I can see the hiking requirement
        if UK peaks serve as the paradigm.

        And if "not in the vicinity of a vehicle,"
        and "must hike the last bit to the summit"
        can be defined as the last 50 yards, then
        I am in for sure.    ;-)