Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SOTA rigs
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 09:25:20 +0200
Well long before there was a sport called "SOTA", I was operating SOTA.
But my operations weren't for a few hours, they were for days.
Like these two, on top of La Rabassa in the Pyrenees mountains (over 2000
meters high):

1975:  C31IL (Andorra) / see:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/andorra-1975/
1979:  C31SE (Andorra) / see:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-expeditions/andorra-1979/

Read the story of how to run for 10 days off of batteries at 6,600 feet
height.

On the first trip we used a SWAN SS-100 (50w out).
It was the first transistorized rig I had ever seen with this much power.
I only had an Argonaut 505 at the time.  The Triton was available but we
hadn't heard of it yet here in Germany.
I was the one on the motorbike. Sigi, NV7E (now 5Z4EE) was the one with the
VW bus.

On the second trip in 1979 I had the original OMNI (Analog), and my Argonaut
509 with 405 amp as backup.
I also had hair. Lots of it.

Side Note: as you'll see in one of the pictures of the 1975 expedition, I
was already a big fan of Wire Beam antennas, 30 years before I joined
Spiderbeam!

73
Rick, DJ0IP