Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:29:44 -0700
On 4/24/2013 10:41 AM, Charlie wrote:
  Davis RF has UHF connectors for 1/2" Heliax.

While they are not Andrews connectors, they are of high quality and work quite
well.

BUT -- remember that there are many variations in the construction of hard line, even by the same manufacturer, and not all 1/2-in connectors FIT all 1/2-in hard line. RF Connection is one of several good sources for hard line connectors. I recently (within the last year) did an extensive search on this so that I could make use of several lengths of hard line I'd acquired for my station. I've written up what I've learned, and probably should post it. it's far from complete or definitive, but might help others with the same problem. As far as I know, the UHF connectors for 1/2-in Heliax you referenced are the only ones I know of that are currently manufactured.

I've learned to install connectors (get out your hacksaw), and have done perhaps ten of them in the last year. Each of them is a bit different.

It is sometimes possible to brute-force the wrong connector onto the cable, but it's equally likely that the wrong connector will not be mechanically or electrically robust. I've inherited some chunks of hard line with that problem. :)

73, Jim K9YC