Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [SMC] OT: Half inch Andrews Heliax LDF4-50A vs LMR-400
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:58:50 -0500
As to worrying about buried LMR 400, that would best be done before burying. Any coax candidate for your use should state on its data sheet, or catalog page, "non contaminating jacket". Even if it is that, I come from the old school, and to avoid unknown earth character as to acid or alkali content; I would bury a conduit of PVC, then insert the coax in that. At the mid conduit, you want to put a spacer under it to raise the middle, before closing the trench, such that its center is slightly higher than either end, so that condensation will flow to the ends. The ends should be weather resistant by putting on an elbow and a riser piece, and create by other elbows, a J type exit, with the "J" upside down. The coax then exits facing the ground on each end. If you don't glue the J parts, you can take off the elbows to swab out condensation that may collect at the bottom of the conduit.

The Wireman sells or did, some direct burial coax, and it is identified as such; but I still prefer to protect the coax. Soil is dynamic, and rocks rise to the surface or move about, such that one might abrade and cut the jacket of direct buried coax.

For safety, be sure and ground the coax shield to a ground rod before the coax enters through your wall. That is a good spot to install a coaxial surge arrestor as well, with short conductor without sharp turns, direct to the rod clamp Rods should be driven nearly into the ground, leaving just enough for the clamp to be higher than rain water accumulates.

Stuart Rohre
K5KVH