Re: [TenTec] audio quality on Omni VI+

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] audio quality on Omni VI+
From: "Robert Mcgraw" <rmcgraw@blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 11:57:36 -0500 (CDT)
The INRAD kit reportedly improves the audio quality a bit.  I think it is
more subjective than anything else.   One thing I've encountered in
several units I've repaired is the accuracy of the BFO oscillators do
impact overall sound.  These must be "spot on" frequency.   Alignment
procedure is in the manual.  Also alignment of the BPT circuit
oscillators is a "must be spot on" condition.  Again, the alignment
procedure is in the manual.

Also, the signal does go through the DSP system even if the DSP is not
selected.   The normal bandpass of the receiver is tight, thus it is a
good performing communications receiver.

A reasonably good quality speaker system helps temper the somewhat harsh
sound.  Your room acoustics and speaker placement will also affect the
sound.

My finding, there is no one successful "one trick does it all" solution.

73
Bob, K4TAX

>                                 Sitting here listening to the VI+,I find
> the audio is irritating ,at best, on ssb.
> I have read about the Inrad audio mod kit
> and was wondering if it is worth the
> effort? If anyone has used it sure would
> like to hear about the results. I also
> switched several speakers with the radio,
> and found my old drake speaker helps a
> lot.
> thanks
> dale wt4t

Disclosure:
I am a Tentec Ambassador and compensated according to the Tentec
Ambassador plan. I serve as a volunteer beta test person for the Omni
VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI products.   Otherwise, I hold no business or
employment interest with Tentec.