Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: "'Bob Gibson'" <w5rg@yahoo.com>, "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:55:08 -0700
It sounds like something else is going on here. You should be able to open
the TX BW to at least 3.0 kHz and drive the mic input until the ALC light is
on quite a bit and there should be no audible distortion.  The DSP in the TX
circuit will limit the BW pretty much to what you set it at, but if there is
significant non-linearity in the final or a subsequent amplifier, the signal
will get wide.  Poor bias setting on the final can also cause problems.

You could also have a problem with RF feedback in the mic or in the VX2000.
You need a source of 48 VDC for phantom power on the B1, but it has to be
very clean from an RF standpoint.  Pull a little base off with the audio
menu setting and you should be good to go.

Are you hearing distortion in the headphone monitor?  That's a good test for
RF.  Also, you said the radio is new...is that new from the factory or just
new to you?   I ask because there was a change a few years ago that added a
filter on the headphone connection that was a source of RF feedback.  Older
radios can be retro-fitted, but new ones have the mod from the factory.

          Ron Castro
           N6IE
    www.N6IE.com

Member: