Re: [TenTec] ORION ll

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION ll
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:30:24 -0400
Hi Barry - I may not have been sufficiently clear and your post causes me to pause and clarify:

I agree the VR-2000 processor, itself, should not cause distortion - unless used improperly or with inappropriate settings.

What I meant to say is it will be easier to debug and diagnose any problems with the mic or rig if it is taken out of the equation. One should be able to get a good signal from the rig with just the mic and radio (using the VR-2000 only as a preamp to provide the requisite 48v phantom voltage to power the microphone capsule.) If you add the processor into the mix, there are more variables to ponder.

But you are correct, used correctly with appropriate settings the VR-200 should not, per se, cause problems. But I think it would be easier to decide if the radio, itself, has a problem if you minimize the number of devices in the audio chain.

This additional gloss should put us on the same page.