Re: [TenTec] Tuner

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner
From: k6jek <k6jek@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:14:36 -0700
There is a whole sub-culture of people working with OCF's. There is a Yahoo
group. There is a rather nice website by Serge Stroobrandt, ON4AA, with links
to a lot of the literature and his own design: http://hamwaves.com/cl-ocfd/

Among other things, they recommend two baluns at the feed point, a hefty 4:1
followed by a choke balun, and maybe another choke balun down the feed line a
ways.

I've been tempted to try an OCF because the trees are in exactly the right
places but I'm hesitant because the last time I tried an OCF I had the sort of
fun Jim alluded to. It was a devil trying to find that 200 ohm point. The feed
line radiation gave me RFI in every device in the house. Of course, back then I
was using one balun, not two, not three.

Life sure is easier with (more or less) balanced antennas.

Jon, K6JEK