Re: [TenTec] Tuner parallel line into the shack

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>, "rohre@arlut.utexas.edu" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner parallel line into the shack
From: "R. Eric Sluder" <resluder@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:17:30 -0700 (PDT)
I'm glad I kept my book on telephone transmission lines.  Its dated circa
1950's and addresses open wire line.  When you mentioned the half twist I
remembered reading about that in the book.  I have never equated that to radio
open wire until now.  I'll be digging it out for some tips on open wire line
install.

My father replaced 100's of miles of it in the 60's with multi pair copper
cable.  He told me there were techniques to keep it lashed into place for pole
bypass and splicing techniques that kept the impedance in check.  He called the
stuff "iron wire" and it had be pretty tough because he hated having to cut
it.  Not because it was so tough, but because of the recoil generated as it was
released.  They had stretchers and clamps to keep it taunt while cutting, but
they didn't always work.

Imagine if we had some of that today and enough poles and insulators to bring
it to your shack.  I suspect icing would be the least of your concerns.

Eric
W9WLW

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android