Re: [TenTec] TT service

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT service
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:42:05 -0400

On 7/10/2013 5:24 PM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
Hey, let's be clear on one point.
Rob Sherwood does NOT rate rigs.

His list is NOT a ranking of performance of the radios.
It is only a ranking of close-in DR3 of all of these radios.

        Oh, my... er... um...  are you SURE?    ;-)

        THIS IS WHAT IS OFTEN CALLED A
           "DISTINCTION WITHOUT A DIFFERENCE."

        The Sherwood list is obviously intended to
        rank radios according to a single factor.
        (Not a bad thing... but that is what it is.)

Many other things contribute to the overall performance of a radio and it is
not possible to list rigs in order of overall performance, because we all
have different performance needs.

        Quite right, but that does not belie
        the fact the Sherwood list IS a ranking
        of radios according to a single factor,
        albeit a factor of great interest to
        many operators.  But it IS a ranking.

Sidebar:

        I rest confident I rarely encounter
        circumstances situations where that
        ranking is relevant, and my radios,
        including a TT Omni VII, and KW TS-590s
        both of which have competitive figures on
        the other factors and measurements included
        Sherwood's chart.

        So, unless I am facing a situation where
        3d order intercept dynamic range is of
        critical importance, my best radios rate
        as high or higher (are at least on a par with)
        the the radios ranked above it on the list.

        Therefore, I won't lose any sleep over the
        fact I don't own the rig with the best score.
        If I ignore the 3d order intercept column,
        there is very little difference among all the
        top radios on the chart, which explains, to
        me at least, why other guys are working DX
        and enjoying contests with those "other"
        "inferior" radios.  I concede there might
        be a few instances where I wish I had spent
        another $X,000 dollars to make a few extra
        very difficult contacts, but that makes
        those contacts very expensive!

        An analogy:  I have a couple of sports cars.
        A Corvette guy once chided me about my choice
        of vehicle, and I asked him if he really
        thought he was getting $30,000 more fun out
        of his car than I was getting out of mine.

        Similarly, would I really get $X,000 more fun
        out of a higher-rated radio?   Would those few
        rare and difficult contacts be worth the
        extra cost?

        Well... as Bob suggests in a couple posts, it
        is all relative and each of us must decide these
        matters for ourselves, and this is, after all,
        only a hobby, and we do not all have the same
        resources to throw at it, so maybe we are tilting
        at windmills and becoming more worried about rig
        specifications, and less interested in making
        contacts.

        My ONLY objection is to the posturing and chest
        beating we sometimes see as guys debate one rig
        or antenna versus another.

        So, I in the words of the great moral philosopher
        and social commentator,  Alfred E. Neuman:

                "What,...me worry?"        ;-)

.