Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:10:10 -0400

On 7/28/2013 5:46 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
James,

Good news, bad news on your suggestion to use two separate baluns for the
job.

The good news is, your suggestion to use two baluns is a great idea.
The bad news is, even though you probably concluded this on your own, it is
not a new concept.

        Of course it is not a new idea... I am not
        that schamart !    ;-)

In fact it was described at great lengths in the Sep/Oct 2005 issue of QEX
magazine.

        Shoot... that would pretty much squelch
        my patent application...        ;-)

In this article, Andrew introduces the idea of a Hybrid Balun.
However, in reading his conclusion, he says it maintains a good balance and
good rejection of common mode current across a wide range of high impedance.

        Interesting article, except for all the math...

        Given his results, I still wonder whether
        it would be even better if the two were
        separated by some grater distance, and housed
        in separate containers.   Putting all one's
        eggs in just one basket, I wonder where there
        is some deleterious interaction between the
        two.