Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:04:22 +0200
James,

There is no need to separate the two toroids more than they are separated
inside that balun.
That is the one nice part about using toroids.
Separation need only be about 2x or 3x the diameter of the wire, and you
already have the insulation between them, so you only need a couple mm more
separation.

One of the Balun Designs baluns does the same thing (don't recall the model
number).

I also did the same thing on Ver.-3.1 of my 40m Ultra light OCFD.
In Ver.-3.2 I moved the 1:1 current choke to about 2" below the 4:1, but it
made no difference.
Pictures here: http://www.dj0ip.de/off-center-fed-dipole/40m-ocf/version-3/

BTW, the problem I speak of in the conclusion on Ver. 3 was fixed when I
built Ver. 4.
What did I do?  I changed from using a single toroid in the 4:1 balun to
using two toroids in it.  The 1:1 is shown there hanging below.  This
particular antenna has an awful lot more common mode current than a dipole,
due to its lopsided split.  It's cases like this where you see the
difference between using the correct balun design, and taking a shortcut.

On the other hand, Ver. 2 of that antenna used a single toroid 4:1 balun
(the shortcut) and had no CMC problems.  But it had a much more gentle
feedpoint split and far less CMC to start with.  Ver.-2 is pictured here:
http://www.dj0ip.de/off-center-fed-dipole/40m-ocf/version-2/

As I said, define the antenna first, THEN you can say which balun technology
is necessary.

73
Rick, DJ0IP