Re: [TenTec] which balun?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which balun?
From: "Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:38:26 +0200
Who did they name that Balun after, Bob? (hi)

I used the Ugly Balun from 2007 until 2010 at my QTH in Oklahoma.
PERFECT EXAMPLE of where a 4:1 balun is crap;  I was running 700w into
shortened vertical dipole on 80 and 40m.
It was low impedance on 40m and very low impedance on 80m.

Pictures of the antenna, matchbox and Ugly Balun are here:
http://www.dj0ip.de/my-station/oklahoma-2010/

The homebrew openwire feedline was built with spacers from a German
manufacturer.  Here I used the 2" spacers.  These also come in 4" and 10"
widths and slip quickly in (or out with a little twist) of the parallel
wires.

TOTAL COST OF BALUN:  About $30 + 2 hours' work.

ANOTHER CIGAR FOR BOB.  He introduced me to this balun about 10 or 12 years
ago.

73
Rick, DJ0IP