Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline -- Comments on QST report

To: 'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline -- Comments on QST report
From: Joel Hallas <jrhallas@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:55:00 -0400
Steve,

Very nice report, indeed. For purposes of comparison to the 100 foot length
Bob and I used, I would remind folks to multiply your attenuation by 1.7.
The results seem quite close.

One quibble from your conclusions, however, we did also report significant
increase in loss with the window line on dry ground. From our report:

"Laying about 95 feet of each line on dry ground with typical cut grass
resulted in a significant increase in attenuation. This ranged from 3 to 10
dB at 3.7 MHz to 10 to 20 dB at 28.4 MHz. Interestingly, the open wire line
had the largest increase, perhaps because the conductors got closer to the
ground, not being elevated by the grass. Keep in mind that these are matched
losses; the loss with a 10:1 SWR would be off the charts. This tends to
validate the long held belief of QST's "Doctor" that running window line
near lossy objects or burying it in plastic conduit is not a good idea."

So we are even more in agreement.

Westport, CT