Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline

To: Scott Harwood <scotthsr@earthlink.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wet ladderline
From: Wade Staggs <tvman1954@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 09:45:03 -0500
*As a very young man, when Channel 17 in Nashville came on the Air. My
Father decided it was time for a new antenna. He ran the 300 ohm twin lead
down the antenna mast and taped it about every 3 feet. We received channel
17 but, it was really snowy. This stayed that way for 2 to 3 years. When I
came home from Army Radar Training, full up with new knowledge. The first
thing I did was to place the proper TV type Stand-offs on the pole. Channel
17 was no longer snowy and as a matter of fact the signal was Great. My
Father ask me what difference it made and after explaining it to him, he
became the local TV Antenna Guru, in our small community. Open feed line is
very forgiving, at HF Frequencies, you can get away with bunches of stuff.
But, the performance will still be degraded by some amount. At UHF TV
Frequencies, proper separation/spacing from other conductive objects is a
Must. Place a 90 degree bend in open line at UHF frequencies and the signal
will not stay on the feed-line very well. That same 90 degree bend at 75,40
or 20 meters is nowhere near as bad. This is knowledge picked up in life.
No fancy test equipment needed. I personally do my best to keep open wire
type lines in the clear when I can and just because I have seen signals
attenuated at higher frequencies. Try to keep from making any sharp bends
in the installation. Multi Band Antennas are a compromise but, you can do
your best in the installation to avoid loss. As the Country Song says ....
That's my story and I am sticking to it.*
*                                  73 to all from Wade/KJ4WS*