Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:31:58 -0800

Bob,

I have come to realize that bonding the negative 12VDC lead to chassis at the power supply is a very bad idea. The applications note below explains why.

k9yc.com/PowerSupplyBondingAndAudioDistortion.pdf

The PSU chassis SHOULD, of course, be bonded to every other chassis in the station.

In response to the original question, I am currently using a Powerwerx switching supply rated at 20A to float charge a pair of 6V 220 AH golf cart batteries. Before I bought those batteries, I used one of the biggest deep cycle batteries that Costco sells. They last at least 3 years in that sort of service. I used a float voltage of 13.8VDC with them, simply setting the regulator in the PSU to that voltage. The golf cart batteries want a higher float voltage. All of the 12V gear in my shack runs off this nominal 12V bus.

The Powerwerx unit is RF quiet. I bought it to take on a DX trip. Before that, I used a little 10A regulated switcher that I paid about $10 for at the Milwaukee hamfest 10 years ago. It was VERY noisy, so I had to add a bunch of ferrite chokes to it, as well as a cap across the AC line. But it, combined with the Costco battery, was enough to keep up with my rigs, even during heavy contesting.

I replaced the Costco batteries with the golf cart batteries as part of a solar rig for the shack. Thanks to the very tall redwoods that hold up my wire antennas, the solar panels are useless during the winter, but provide good charging during the summer months when my electrical rates go sky-high, hence the Powerwerx.

73, Jim K9YC