Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:54:22 -0500
Er... um... on the advice of Gary and Paul at TenTec, and from the Brand-X Service Dept, I eliminated the power distribution panel, and shortened all my power supply leads, and connect them directly to the terminals on my RS-35M power supply. I upgraded all transceiver power leads to minimum 12 gauge wire, as short as possible. My Brand-X radio is kinda sensitive to any significant voltage or current sag when running full blast, so I give it the best chance possible. Various sources indicate nominal 12 v PAs are typically sensitive to such sags.

There is no need to have a separate power supply for each rig, if you pay attention and run them all at once. Consequently, I employ one RS-35M dedicated solely to powering one transceiver at a ztime, and another RS-35M to powering various accessories. I cannot quantify it with meter measurements, but I believe it all runs better that way.

I also have ferrite beads on the power leads, but I am with you - I cannot say they are doing anything in particular, but remain in place just in case.

I believe (ideally) every extra patch cable, connector, etc., in line causes an ever so slight impedance and voltage or current or whatever "speed-bump," so I have become a "Minimalist" and have tried to eliminate as many such speed-bumps as possible.

Oh, sure, I know neither the contact operator nor I will notice a mere .25 dB drop in signal strength, but it is the principle of the thing. I also believe it is cumulative - as in the famous quote by Sen Dirkson, possibly made in a different context...: "A dB here, a dB there; pretty soon it adds up to real power loss." Er... um... I think it is how it goes.

So, if I were looking to maximize station efficiency, I would eliminate the power distribution strip. That was the absolute very first thing Master Technician Paul C asked when my Jupiter acted funny. It is also the first question I received from the Brand-X Service Dept, on a related question, but regarding a different rig.

That is just MY take, of course... you mileage may vary.