Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency
From: denton sprague <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:21:05 -0800
many decades ago, one of my first projects was home brewing a 30 amp 12 vdc
regulated power supply….I used it for a number of years on various hf and TT
rigs until I got my TT Omni 6…which for some odd reason kept blowing up the
finals…think it went back to TT 3 times(!) for final and final driver
replacement.
The tech asked me why power supply I was using on the third trip back..
I told him it was the home-brew one. Tech said it was probably an oscillation
from the home-brew supply, that kept blowing up the rig finals.
I dug out a 'scope and multimeter to run some diagnostics, but could find
nothing amiss.
I stored the homebrew power supply and dug out the power supply that came with
the rig. It has worked fb every since.
As far as I can determine, there is little in the way of isolation from the
rig's finals to the power supply other than a ferrite choke on the B+ line
going to the final brick….hence any kind of weird spikes or oscillations from
one rig could affect the electrons in a second rig on the same power supply.