Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] which power supply…station efficiency
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 17:17:10 -1000

I believe (ideally) every extra patch cable, connector, etc., in line causes an ever so slight impedance and voltage or current or whatever "speed-bump," so I have become a "Minimalist" and have tried to eliminate as many such speed-bumps as possible.

Yes each connector and cable length does have resistance which will cause IR voltage drop, so it is good to minimize the number of them, or at least use wire sizes and quality connectors of proper current rating. Since this is DC power supply and not high frequency or RF, there is no need to worry about "speed" and "impedance" the way you would if this were an RF or video distribution system.

So, if I were looking to maximize station efficiency, I would eliminate the power distribution strip. That was the absolute very first thing Master Technician Paul C asked when my Jupiter acted funny. It is also the first question I received from the Brand-X Service Dept, on a related question, but regarding a different rig.
Not wanting to contradict Paul C, yet kind of nice to have a fuse to limit the current to each transceiver to the maximum it needs, rather than allowing the full current capacity of the power supply (when that is larger than what one transceiver needs) to go into the transceiver if there is a fault in that transceiver.

DE N6KB