Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II
From: Andy Flessner <k9arm1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 12:24:17 -0600
Just my 2 cents from playing with mics and radios over the years - I've
found that the electret condenser cartridges used in communication mics
typically have quite a bit more output than the dynamic cartridges, maybe
on the order of 20dB? Good candidates for padding, depending on the radio.
Also, the condenser cartridges usually have a very flat frequency response,
not really what you need for limited bandwidth comms audio. Remember the
Icoms that required higher mic outputs?

As a mostly mobile operator for a dozen years now, it took me awhile to
find a mic that I liked. After recording my voice with every mic I could
get my hands on, I found a Yaesu/Vertex commercial mic, MH-25a8j, that
sounded excellent and drove the radio(s) well. It has a large dynamic
cartridge and is a nice heavy duty hand mic like the old Motorola mobile
mics. It worked very well on the Corsair II I used to use. I do not like
headsets in the mobile, I like to hear the ambient sound around me -
personal preference.

I have found the Ten-Tec radios to be more forgiving for impedance and
level on the mic inputs than other brands, perhaps due to the Electro-Voice
history?

For the record, I greatly appreciate Richard's and Jim's postings and
articles, informative and sometimes fun. And everyone's postings for that
matter, thanks all!

Andy K9ARM