Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II
From: Richards <jrichards@k8jhr.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 05:37:52 -0500
I use the circuit that is discussed and pictured with schematic on
page 67 of the November QST. The mic capsule should be (that is I am guessing from experience with these things) capable of taking somewhere between 2 and 15 volts. This is a hugely typical value for these little electret mic capsules.

YOU WANT... BIAS VOLTAGE that these use is between 2 and 15v - typically a sound card produces about 5 volts.

YOOU DO NOT WANT  PHANTOM VOLTAGE OF 48 V.

Check the White Papers on the Shure web site, www.Shure.com
and it will explain the difference.

I have tried the method described on Page 67 of the Nov. QST with success. Many others have told me this works well.

I am BIASED... because I wrote the piece in QST Magazine.