Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:43:30 -0800
On 1/17/2014 11:33 AM, Richards wrote:
ER... can we say the same of linear power supplies?
    Are they as inherently noisy as switch mode supplies?
    Do linear supplies require all that filtering and
    modern science to clean up?

Not at all. The root cause of noise in switching power supplies is that they are square wave generators. Linear power supplies simply rectify and filter the 60 Hz power source.

THERE IS A FALLACY LURKING IN THE WEEDS:

No, there is a gap in your knowledge of fundamental electricity and electronics.

    The gist of the argument is that you can mask,
    hide, smother or otherwise suppress the inherent
    noise produced by a a switching power supply.
    Essentially, the claim is we can render the
    cancer benign through surgery.

No, we simply follow good engineeering practice when designing and manufacturing the product in question.

    But what if a linear supply is inherently quiet
    and does not make noise in the first place, then
    is there no cancer to hide, mask, smother or
    render benign.

Enough with dumb analogies. Go to the ARRL Handbook and study the fundamentals.

73, Jim K9YC