Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:28:29 -0600
I've found a very few linear power supplies generate noise. However those that do I've found are largely due to deteriorating decoupling capacitors in the regulator circuit or due to a highly reactive load on the output. Typically the oscillation can be from a few Hz to over 100 KHz and equal in amplitude to the output voltage. Real nasty stuff.

A well designed and manufactured power supply, be it linear or switcher, will not generate any objectionable noise. Any noise generated has been found to be several dB below the typical noise found on the HF bands and even VHF bands.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brown" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>