Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On Switching Power Supplies
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 09:28:48 -0800
On 1/18/2014 12:34 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:
And even the oscillations are often caused by grounding issues!

If the regulator's ground connection is not VERY short and identical with
the ground of the electrolytic capacitors, oscillation can occur,

Yes. These are the circuit layout errors of which I wrote. EMC expert Henry Ott (a ham, of course) talks in his tutorial workshops of the importance of keeping track of where the current is flowing, and he talks about "the invisible schematic hiding behind the ground symbol." And he means ALL of the current, not just the intended current. In a return circuit, DC and RF often follow a very different path. DC follows the path of the least resistance. AC follows the path of lowest impdance.

As a simple example -- when setting up a station on a county expedition for the California QSO Party a few years ago, I noted that one of our team had run a single conductor from the rig to the power amp for the keying line, relying on the shield of the coax carrying the RF drive to serve as the return. His logic was that since it was only DC, it didn't matter. What he forgot was that there are antennas around, radiating 500W of RF, so in addition to that DC, RF was also present, and the large loop consisting of the single wire and the coax shield functioned both as a receive antenna and as a magnetic loop to couple the RF to the rig.

Another point with respect to power supplies and "grounding" -- power supplies, both linear and switchers, often suffer from "the Pin One Problem, and both designers and users think a connection to dirt is necessary for things to work right, be noise free, and so on. Nothing could be further from the truth. The sole function of a connection to earth is LIGHTNING PROTECTION -- the earth is NOT a sink into which noise, RFI, and so on can be poured. There is no good reason to bond DC- to the chassis of a power supply, and there are very good reasons to NOT make this connection. On the other hand, for lightning protection and electrical safety, both good engineering practice and the electrical building codes in most of the developed world require that the chassis of anything connected to the power line be bonded to the third wire in the power cord -- "the green wire" in the US, the protective earth in EU -- and that all "grounds" in a premises be bonded together by short, fat copper.

Most of the noise we associate with power systems is carried on the green wire in the form of leakage current, and without proper bonding, this noise (hum, buzz, RFI, even broadband noise) can show up in our equipment.

Several years ago, I opened up the three big Astron linear supplies that I owned (I've since sold one) and studied their bonding. None were properly bonded. The green wire from the power cord was soldered to the mounting leg of a terminal strip, which was insulated from the chassis by paint. As if that wasn't enough, the two major sections of the chassis were also insulated from each other by paint. This manufacturing defect is VERY common. I've seen it in older Elecraft products (they have long since fixed this), in N8LP's products, and it's been widely reported in the controllers that SteppIR provides for their antennas.

73, Jim K9YC