[TenTec] TT 422 Blowing Fuses

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT 422 Blowing Fuses
From: "Robb Urie" <rurie@bajabb.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 18:28:09 -0700
On 2/2/2014 2:03 PM, Bry Carling wrote:
> Nope. The power switch only sends power to pilot lamps and filaments on mine.
> The standby switch energizes relays that apply primary power up the HV
> transformer.

Then this amp is certainly not stock...High voltage is applied via the high
voltage rectifier board 81538, there are no relays in the original design.
Perhaps the ham who sold it to you modified it without either documenting it or
failing to tell you.  Before complaining about poor quality transformers from
Ten Tec, maybe a better understanding of exactly what your amp really is would
have been better.

Your original post did state "Only blows the fuse when switched to operate"
caught my attention.  I also found that strange, but did not respond as you
seemed to have found the primary shorted.  I have had two 422's, a late one
that went "Bang" resulting in a new set of HV caps and an early model that
seems to be working just fine.  At one time, the 422 was a good value, but now
at the current price point I would have to look elsewhere if I was in the
market.

Keep us posted when you get your transformer back.

73,

Robb N0RU