Re: [TenTec] TT 422 Blowing Fuses

To: "Brian Carling AF4K" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT 422 Blowing Fuses
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:10:56 -0600
With the amp wired for 230 V, I doubt with only 120 V applied, the low voltage {as it will be 1/2 of the volts needed for the filaments and the LV supply} will not be adequate to pull in the relays and thus get the HV going.

A couple of approaches; one is using two 150 watt 120V light bulbs. Wire each one of the 150 watt light bulbs in series with each side of the 230 volt line. If there is a major short the bulbs will light to full brilliance. This basically will limit the inrush current. However the amp still won't receive full voltage and will not be fully operational. A second approach is using a Variac. This way you can control the voltage applied and bring it up slowly and under control. You should measure the voltage applied as you increase it and also the AC current, watching for any unusual or rapid changes. For this you'll need a 230 volt Variac rated at 10 amps minimum.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bry Carling" <bcarling@cfl.rr.com>